12 December 2010

Lessons

I wanted to write something sexy for you this week. The holidays are upon us, even more of a reason to get a bit randy with that special someone... or even your left hand...

I so very humbly apologize, but I've failed you. This week was horribly overshadowed by the anniversary of the murder of a god.

I was barely two months old when John Lennon was brutally murdered in front of his wife, Yoko, and home in New York City on 8 December 1980. My family commemorates it as if it was the death of a family member, a flesh and blood relative. I grew up listening to the Beatles' and John Lennon's music, fed to me as if it were almost holy scripture. I really do understand the early angst and anger through to his last recordings of sheer joy of being a parent. My loving, albeit slightly obsessed, parents kept those LPs up and out of the way of grimy little hands like my own.

This indoctrination may have something to do with my love of music - all music.

I vistied my parents in Wexford this last week, the date not truly registering in my head, and when I arrived home, there was a photo of the late Mr. Lennon surrounded by candles as if still on vigil. My dear Mum was weepy and all my Da could say is that it was "a fucked up day". Instead of the joyous music of all sorts my parents have playing all through the house, there was an eerie and disturbing silence. Such heavy anniversaries are hard indeed.

I have a very dear musician friend whose music name is taken from a nick-name of John Lennon's, Johnny Moondog. I've been a devoted fan of Mr. Moondog's music since I was 12 years old. He once told me that he cried for three days on the news of Lennon's death. He called it the 80s version of JFK, a generation's lighting bolt through the heart. You knew where you were, what you were doing, when that horrible news was announced.

I'll leave you with the lyrics of Johnny Moondog's "Lessons". It is not in the style of the Beatles or John Lennon musically, but the lyrics are truly something to ponder.

My love to you all...


All of "God's children" lay down your swords
Take heed the message what are you waiting for
We could live in peace you know
If we'd only try
Make love not war now
I know you've heard it a million times
This statement isn't new
But you know it's true

Life is worth living remember your golden rule
Love is the knowledge and peace is the school
Politics are nothing
They were created by man
God created us equal
When we believe that the answer's at hand
We all have a reason to be
When will we use our eyes and see

If we had the courage
Our brothers we could trust
It's time to face the facts here
Eventually we must
All life can live and enjoy
When we learn to forget to destroy

Life is worth living remember your golden rule
Love is the knowledge and peace is the school
It's time we learnt the lesson
It's time we understand
God created us equal
When we believe that the answer's at hand
God created us equal
When we believe that the answer's at hand
God created us equal
When we believe that the answer's at hand
God created us equal

listen here: